Guidelines for Community Fundraisers
- All events must be registered with UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation.
- Events should fit the mission of and convey the appropriate image for UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh and its affiliated foundation.
- UPMC Children’s Hospital and UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation cannot sponsor or endorse fundraising events or products. Use of the UPMC Children’s Hospital or UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation logo is not authorized. When naming your event, UPMC Children’s should not be used in the title but rather listed as the beneficiary. For example, event organizers should not refer to the event as the “UPMC Children’s Fundraising Event.” Instead, it should be promoted as “XYZ’s Event to Benefit UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh” or “XYZ’s Event to Benefit UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation.” Event materials should state that “Proceeds benefit UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation.”
- UPMC Children’s and UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation do not release proprietary mailing lists to outside organizations.
- When approaching employees, clients, and other businesses for assistance or monetary support for your event, remember that many local organizations may already have a longstanding partnership with UPMC Children’s and may not wish to make additional donations. When asking for a donation, do not represent yourself as an employee of UPMC Children’s or UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation but rather a community member planning an event to benefit Children’s and its Foundation.
- Please contact UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation to register or repeat the event in a succeeding year.
How We Can Help
UPMC Childre’s Hospital Foundation staff may be able to provide some or all of the following to assist with your event, in accordance with foundation policies:
- Offer knowledge on event planning
- Acknowledge direct contributions to UPMC Children’s
- Approve the use of the hospital or Foundation name, as appropriate
- Provide a letter of support on UPMC Children’s letterhead to validate the authenticity of the event and its organizers
- Provide listing of event on our community fundraiser calendar
- Provide UPMC Children’s or UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation banners for your event
- Encourage staff attendance at event, if feasible and appropriate
- Offer a check presentation either virtually or at the hospital for you to make your gift
- Offer a tour of the hospital for volunteer fundraisers
UPMC Children’s and Foundation Staff are Unable To:
- Extend our tax exemption to your organization or event
- Provide event insurance
- Sign vendor contracts
- Provide UPMC Children’s or UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation letterhead or envelopes
- Provide funding or reimbursement for expenses
- Solicit sponsorship revenue or in-kind donations for your event
- Share mailing lists of donors, sponsors or vendors
- Distribute or place event flyers, posters or other promotional materials throughout the hospital
- Guarantee media coverage or send press releases to promote the event on your behalf
- Guarantee staff or volunteers at the event
Terms and Conditions
By registering the event, organizer agrees that UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation (“the Foundation”) may request, at any time it determines that the event is likely to be injurious to the image of UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, that organizer removes all references to UPMC Children’s Hospital or UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation in any and all event communications, whether oral or written.
- The organizer represents to the Foundation that: (a) it will comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations while planning, promoting and conducting the event; (b) all necessary insurance, licenses and permits will be obtained and will be in force through the conclusion of the event; (c) the event will result in no cost or expense to Children’s Hospital whatsoever, unless expressly agreed in writing to the contrary; and (d) the organizer will indemnify and hold the Foundation harmless from any and all claims of any kind or nature whatsoever arising out of, or in any way related to, the event.
- The Foundation cannot sponsor or endorse fundraising events or products. Event materials should state that “Proceeds benefit UPMC Children’s Hospital Foundation” or “Proceeds benefit UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.”
- A representative from the Foundation may be able to attend the organizer’s event. Requests for personal appearances by UPMC Children’s staff will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Due to the volume of requests made and the availability of staff, not all requests can be fulfilled.
- Nothing on this page shall be construed to authorize the organizer, or any of its employees or representatives, to act as an agent of the Foundation. For example, the organizer may not open a bank account in UPMC Children’s or its Foundation’s name, nor may it endorse or attempt to negotiate any checks made payable to UPMC Children’s, all of which must be promptly forwarded to the Foundation for processing.
- If media are expected to be present at a check presentation at the hospital, it is the responsibility of the organizer to inform his or her Foundation staff contact prior to this meeting so that the proper arrangements on site can be made.
- These terms and conditions apply for the duration of the event. Thereafter, the organizer may continue to receive funds for the Foundation, provided such funds are paid promptly to the Foundation.